PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE PAGE
THERE’S REALLY IMPORTANT STUFF HERE!
(We know it’s a lot to read, but it’s all important.)
COVID-19 NOTE: During the COVID-19 situation, we have modified our classroom setup to be chairs only (no tables), separated by roughly 6 feet. All classroom areas are “sprayed down” before each day of the workshop and hand sanitizer is available in the restroom. Facial masks are optional when seated. However, when on-mic, I will ask that you remove your mask in order that I might see your physical movement and facial expressions while performing. For lunch each day, you may bring your own lunch and beverage or we will arrange for lunch delivery before starting the workshop. Please bring cash to cover lunch each day.
You can return to this page at any time by clicking on the link in your confirmation email. After your workshop, log in to your account and look for the item “BONUS – P.I.E. Workshops to access your bonus downloads and the P.I.E. webinars.
The information on this page applies to most P.I.E. workshops. If you are attending a workshop specifically created for your company, the start time, breaks and location may be different from what is contained on this page or in the Registration Package document. Please check with your event organizer if you have any questions.
The registration package linked below is a PDF file that has all the important details about our workshops. Since it’s a PDF file, you’ll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it after downloading – or you can view it in most browsers. You can get Acrobat Reader here.
Please follow the instructions below to open or download your PDF registration package.
TO OPEN THE FILE ON-LINE: Click on the link below to OPEN the PDF file from the web site. Once open, you can print the file or save it using the “save” icon in Acrobat Reader.
TO DOWNLOAD THE FILE: Right-click and “save target as” to download the PDF file to your desktop or a folder on your computer. (You can also download the Registration Package from your VoiceActing Academy account home page.)
PERFORMANCE INTENSIVE EVENT REGISTRATION PACKAGE
(PDF file will open in a new tab.)
DOWNLOAD YOUR REGISTRATION BONUSES HERE:
Click this link to download your registration bonuses. If additional bonuses were offered for this workshop, they will be included in your VoiceActing Academy member page.
DOWNLOAD THE PRE-EVENT WORKSHEET HERE:
We have a pre-event homework assignment for you. Please download the pre-event PDF file by clicking on the link below. This worksheet is mostly fill-in notes for you to complete as you watch the webinars or during the workshop. However, we do ask that you do what you can to complete the assignments for each of the sections of the workshop. Most are simply extensions of what you are already doing (listening to radio and watching some TV). By completing these assignments prior to attending the event, you’ll put yourself ahead of the curve as we discuss the many aspects of performing for voiceover. Plus you’ll have a few nifty fill-in-the-blanks pages for taking notes during webinars and the event.
ACCESS THE PERFORMANCE INTENSIVE WEBINAR SERIES:⇑
We have created a series of webinars associated with both our live and on-online P.erformance I.ntensive E.vent workshops. Each webinar covers a specific aspect of voiceover and our coaching program. We strongly encourage you to watch all webinars before you leave home or log on for this event.
To start watching… and learning… just click the link below to be taken to our webinar playback page. In the future, you can watch the webinars by clicking on the link in your member account. Just log in through the Account Login menu button to find the item named “VAA Performance Intensive” and click on the link for the event webinars.
Click this link to watch the P.I.E. webinars (also accessible on the P.I.E. Bonus page):
DOWNLOAD AND PRINT YOUR P.I.E. WORKBOOK:
Please click the link below to download or print your P.I.E. event workbook. This workbook includes everything you’ll need for the event, including several sections of notes that support the webinars and all the scripts we’ll be working with during the workshop.
PLEASE DOWNLOAD AND PRINT YOUR PIE WORKBOOK NOW! BUT PLEASE RESIST THE URGE TO PRE-READ THE WORKBOOK.
Please bring your printed workbook pages in a 3-ring binder with you to any of our live workshops.
If you are attending our PIE San Diego workshop, we’ll have empty 3-ring binders available for $5. We’ll also have a 3-hole punch handy in case you haven’t pre-punched the page holes.
If you would prefer to purchase the PIE workbook with binder, we’ll have a few on hand for $20 cash.
ALL WORKSHOPS START AT 9AM.
The information on this page pertains to BOTH the San Diego and On-line versions of our P.erformance I.ntensive E.vent.
Now that you’re registered, you’ll need more information about the workshop location, accommodations, travel arrangements, etc. All that and more is included in your registration package that you can download later on this page.
This workshop was either added to your existing VoiceActing account, or a new account was set up using your PayPal address when you registered. A confirmation e-mail was sent to you with your login username (your e-mail address) and your temporary password. We suggest that you login as soon as possible to update any missing information to your profile and to change your password.
As part of this event, we’ve prepared a series of webinars that are designed to give you the lecture information and preliminary training you will need to get the greatest benefit from the workshop. These webinars comprise the majority of the lecture portion of the event, which gives us much more time to work with you on-mic. Our coaching will focus on the concepts covered in the webinars, so if you do not watch them, you may feel left behind or somewhat overwhelmed at the workshop. Please allow plenty of time for each webinar… you won’t regret it!
This is important: Watch each webinar to the very end! At the end of each webinar, simply close the player browser to return to the webinar page and click on the link below the video image to take a short “quiz” that will help you to lock in the information you just learned. You are not graded and we don’t review your answers. But completing each quiz will be the best way to test your knowledge. When you click the Submit button at the end of each quiz, you’ll be returned to the webinar viewing page. The webinar page is only accessible through your member account, so you will need to log in before you can access the webinars.
Your first webinar is at the bottom of this page, but please read the rest of this page and download your registration package before watching the webinar.
From this page you will be able to download important files for this workshop.
- How PIE Works
- Event Location
- Breaks and Meals
- Add Dropbox to your computer
- If you have a laptop, bring it
HOW P.I.E. WORKS:⇑
Start by watching our P.I.E. webinars to get an understanding of the concepts and techniques we’ll be working with during the workshop. During the workshop, please observe these guidelines:
ALL OF OUR EVENTS:
- Unless otherwise specified, ALL WORKSHOPS START AT 9AM. Please arrive a bit early to check in and receive your workshop materials.
- Plan to focus all of your time on the event. If you are attending on-line, please arrange your schedule and location to minimize distractions.
- We start at 9am and continue until 5pm Pacific Time with a 1-hour break for lunch both days (we’ll often go a bit long). Evenings are on your own.
- Please do not direct from your seat. You might have some great direction or interpretations, but we always have a reason for giving the direction that we do. Your thoughts and ideas and questions are welcome, but please write them down or hold them for the time between personalized coaching sessions.
- We encourage your participation in all of our event activities. Please know that there will likely be some times when we push you outside of your comfort zone. To get the most from this workshop, we ask that you follow through and follow our directions to the best of your ability.
LIVE (IN-PERSON) EVENTS:
- The entire event is held in one room and everyone will be able to see and hear everyone else.
- You may adjust the copy stand, but please let your instructor or engineer adjust the microphone and mic stand.
- We do not use headphones in our live events.
- Please bring water and a pencil and paper for taking notes. (We do have bottled water at most workshops).
- Feel free to get up and move around quietly. If you need to leave the room, please exit and re-enter quietly – we may be recording.
- If you hear us give a brilliant bit of direction, please ask us for a time mark in the recording, so you can note it. That way, when you review the recordings, you’ll be able to easily locate tips or ideas that you feel are important or worth remembering.
IMPORTANT CONSIDERATIONS FOR OUR P.I.E. IN THE SKY EVENT (ON-LINE) (When offered):
- Please plan to spend both days with us so you won’t miss any important coaching or directing tips. Since you’ll be attending from home, you will, of course, be able to step away from the workshop if needed. But we do encourage you to stay with us to get the greatest benefit from the event.
- Arrange for a quiet place to work where you won’t be disturbed for the workshop. Although we will mute your mic while working with others, normal home activities can still be very distracting and will definitely take your attention away from learning from our coaching. Please arrange to be in a quiet room or, ideally, in your personal recording space.
- You MUST have a working webcam on your computer. It is critical that we are able to see you perform. Ideally, we’d like you to be standing, but if all you have is a laptop on a table, we can work with that. A high-definition USB webcam like the Logitek C-920 is ideal since it can be moved around to give us the best view of you during our coaching sessions.
- You MUST have a good high-speed Internet connection. The better your Internet connection is, the better our video conference will work. If you have a very slow Internet service, you might want to consider attending our San Diego workshop. If, for some reason, you are not able to participate on-line or your Internet connection is poor, your tuition can be applied to a future San Diego P.I.E. workshop.
- A functional home studio is ideal, but not required. The quality of your recordings and our ability to hear the nuance of your performances will be directly related to the quality of your microphone and room acoustics. We can only do so much if you are on a laptop webcam mic in the middle of an echoey room. We highly recommend using a good mic and a USB interface for your audio rather than the mic on your webcam. No gaming headsets, please.
- The P.I.E. workbook will be a downloadable PDF file. You’ll need to download and print out the workbook to get the most from the workshop. We suggest printing the workbook two-sided (duplex printing) to save paper and put it in a 3-ring binder for future reference.
For San Diego events, please CLICK HERE for location information.
For events in cities other than San Diego, location information will be included in the links when you log in to your account. Look for the item “VAA Performance Intensive” and click on the link for City Location. If there is no location link, the workshop will be either in San Diego or On-line.
When we do offer a workshop in a city other than San Diego, the location page will include information about accommodations, travel, parking, etc.
BREAKS & MEALS:⇑
We do not have scheduled breaks, but we plan to take a short break every 90 minutes or so, but we may skip that if we’re really moving along. Our workshops are quite informal, so feel free to get up or move around quietly as needed. For our on-line workshop, we encourage you to be near your computer for the entire event, but you will certainly have more flexibility to come and to as you please. However, you should know that if you are away from your computer when we call on you, you will move to the end of the list.
We usually break for lunch around 12:30 PT or so on each full day of the event. Depending on the size of the group, for live events we may go out for lunch “dutch treat,” or we may have sandwiches or pizza brought in. Lunch will be decided at the beginning of the first full day. Please plan for $15 for food and beverage. Dinner after each day of the event is on your own – or we may go out for dinner as a group.
For our on-line workshop, we ask that you be back and ready to go after a 1-hour lunch break. Please keep your computer and web cam turned on.
ADD DROPBOX TO YOUR COMPUTER (2GB of storage for free):⇑
We use Dropbox for delivering your on-mic work during the workshop. Please follow the instructions in your registration package and install Dropbox on your computer – or just go to www.DropBox.com to download and install Dropbox. Either before or at the beginning of the event, we’ll create a shared folder and invite you to join. You must accept our invitation to share the folder in order to get access to your on-mic work during the event. Dropbox is the only way you will be able to receive your recordings.
If you already have a Dropbox account, please let us know your correct account email address so we can set up our shared folder with you.
Your event recordings will be available for download from our shared Dropbox folder for several weeks after the event, but we suggest you copy the files from your Dropbox shared folder to a safe folder on your computer as soon as possible. Please do not cut/paste files from the Dropbox folder, as that will remove the files from everyone on the share.
With a Dropbox account you can create other folders to share files, pictures, videos and more with friends and family. Please do not put personal files in our shared VAA Performance Intensive folder. See your Dropbox Home page for details on how you can get additional free storage space by inviting others to share your Dropbox folders.
IF YOU HAVE A LAPTOP, FEEL FREE TO BRING IT TO THE EVENT:⇑
At our live events we will have tables, power and Internet access for you if you would like to use your laptop for taking notes during the workshop.
Obviously, for our on-line events, you will be working at your computer most of the time.
If you are attending a workshop created for your company, please check with your event organizer regarding access to power and an Internet connection.
We look forward to seeing you at the workshop.
If you have any problems opening or downloading your registration package, or if you have any questions about the workshop, please call 858.484.0220 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll be happy to help.